This time of year provides an opportunity for us to reflect and express appreciation to all the people with whom we have worked in the past and who continue to make a positive difference in our lives.
This month’s focus is Pick-You-Ups! Included are a dozen meaningful ways to let a colleague know they make a positive difference and that you care!
1. Compliment your colleague where all can see.
2. Put a card in school mailbox for no particular reason to say, “Thinking of You”.
3. Find out what’s special for the other person – and do it.
4. Give personal handwritten notes of thanks or congratulations (possibly mailed to his or her home).
5. Pass along positive comments from others.
6. Sponsor his or her special cause or charity.
7. Send birthday, Christmas, anniversary, and special-occasion cards to their home.
8. A small personal gift, uniquely appealing to their hobby or interest.
9. Send reinforcing articles/books.
10. Send a complimentary email or thank you message to his or her immediate supervisor/department head/principal, etc. and copy him or her.
11. Get someone to whom they really made a difference to make a special presentation or award.
12. Return a report, lesson plan, or email with complimentary margin notes or messages on the quality of their work or importance of their contribution.
For more information about conflict education and caring communities, see Susan Fitzell’s book, Free The Children, Conflict Education for Strong and Peaceful Minds. Available in both print and electronic versions!